Saturday, January 1, 2011

Not a great first day for 2011

Welp, I guess there's no way to avoid it. I will have to tell you what happened to me today.

It was a pretty normal day for a couple of tourists. Maria and I had decided we wanted to explore some neighborhoods that we had yet to go to--San Telmo and La Boca. However, our late lunch kept us from getting there until siesta time, and the streets were a little dead. I had read about these neighborhoods not being very safe at night, but during the day time I thought all would be fine.

Apparently not. While walking through San Telmo, I got my camera stolen. At knifepoint. I'm still a little bit in shock. The thing is, it was my fault as I had it outside of my bag. We also had sort of forgotten where we were, and I lost track of the fact that we were in a shady neighborhood.

As far as these awful things go, I have to say, this was not bad: Maria and I are both safe and unharmed, nothing else was stolen, and my camera didn't have more than 10 pictures on it--none of which were especially important (they were just of Maria...not like I don't have 10000000000 more of those).

We called the police, went to the station, and if I decide to, I might go back to the "comisaria," or police station, on Monday to see if I can identify the face of the man who stole my camera. What good will it do? I won't get my camera back. But maybe I can help another innocent person not get their things taken. Who knows.

It sort of keeps playing again and again in my head. I don't really know how to feel about it. It makes me sad because I will always have a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth when thinking about Buenos Aires, even though this is an incredible city that I really have enjoyed so far and know that I will continue to enjoy. I haven't felt the least bit unsafe at all in any part of the city until then. And if I'm being honest, I didn't even feel unsafe after it happened. There were many people in the neighborhood who stood by me, helped call the cops, and made me feel safe.

I was talking with Maria earlier when making dinner in our little Almagro apartment kitchen, saying how I have always considered myself lucky. And after some thought, I still know deep inside that I am.

I have been able to see all kinds of different places; been able to experience so many cities, cultures, and people. I have never once had a bad experience like this in all my travels. And I won't let this one ruin it for me. I won't let this event have that much power over me.

It's events like these that make you sit back and appreciate all that you have. I even still have a camera! I had decided to bring my old one (sadly, it was a brand new Christmas present that was stolen). I'll still be able to take photos to share with you and keep for fonder memories of the city.

But, it's getting late. I want to actually get up before 11:30 tomorrow (we're making progress...) and so It's time to hit the hay. But don't cry for me, (in) Argentina. I'm fine, and life goes on.

I'm still one of the luckiest people on earth.

1 comments:

Noel Rivard January 1, 2011 at 8:49 PM  

very sorry to hear this ben. But i am glad that you both are ok.

It is really amazing how you can find the good in such a scarring situation. What a wonderful trait to have!

Please enjoy the rest of your travels safely. See you soon!

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | The Blog Full of Games

Back to TOP